Published on 20 May 2020
Honey; heal me.
We love honey. It is where The Dorset Soap Co began. My journey into handmade and natural products started when my partner Carl, who is a beekeeper gave me a pot of beeswax which he had harvested for the first time from one of our hives. We didn’t want it to go to waste so I decided to create a soothing and healing hand balm, inspired by all the sore hands from all the washing and scrubbing during the pandemic.
And so, my first ever product (and secretly my favourite) was born. I combined the beeswax with cocoa butter and oil we had extracted from our spearmint in the garden and created our Spearmint Body Balm.
I didn’t want to stop there with our hive produce and I combined the beeswax and rosemary from the garden with our incredibly tasty honey and made our Honey, Beeswax and Rosemary Soap Bar. And so the story continues!
Not only does our honey and beeswax smell and feel amazing but we have all heard the tales about the healing properties and the amazing benefits of honey, so here is a little run down of why honey is so good for you on the outside and not just when eaten.
Vicki, The Dorset Soap Co.
- Honey has both anti-bacterial and anti-septic properties, which not only gives your skin a deep cleanse but makes it perfect for both preventing and treating acne.
- It’s full of antioxidants so removes all of those toxins that build up during the day, it also naturally opens pores and this combination reduces blackheads and whiteheads as well as leaving your skin super clean.
- It also has anti-microbial properties helping to fight off and treat skin infections and has even been successfully trialled to treat eczema and psoriasis.
- Honey also boosts collagen production, which in turn prevents aging and slows the formation of wrinkles.
- It is incredibly moisturizing and hydrates dry and sore skin.
- Honey is naturally soothing and also nourishes damaged skin and has been known to fade scar.
- Enzymes in honey work as a gentle exfoliator, which sloughs dead skin cells and boosts circulation.
With all of these amazing properties we are so lucky to have an abundance of this incredible natural resource and I am amazed it isn’t used more in skin products. I personally am really excited to keep experimenting with new ways to use our favourite toast topper!